Thursday, July 1, 2010

Sometimes I dislike Canada

Sometimes I dislike Canada when I'm standing in a line of twenty people at Canadian Tire to pay for an 89-cent item because there is just one checkout clerk. In The States, they always have plenty of checkout clerks.

Sometimes I dislike Canada when I try to open one of the double doors on a store, and it is locked. What's up with that? In The States, both doors are always unlocked.

Sometimes I dislike Canada when a product I see advertised on TV from The States isn't available north of the border.

Sometimes I dislike Canada when I'm driving on a multi-lane highway and my lane disappears down an exit ramp, which happens a lot. I don't notice that happening much when I'm driving in The States.

Sometimes I dislike Canada when I buy something online from The States, and the shipping and customs duties double the cost of the item.

Sometimes I dislike Canada when my TV cable company hikes its rates again, and I realize I have no alternative because it is the only cable company servicing my town. I don't think that happens in The States.

Sometimes I dislike Canada when the loonie takes a dive, and I have to take out a second mortgage to pay for a trip to Disney World.

Sometimes I dislike Canada when politicians do stupid things, say stupid things, spend money on stupid things, appoint stupid people to important positions, pass stupid laws, stupidly ignore serious problems, introduce stupid taxes, and treat the rest of us as stupid people who stupidly elected them, which is to say when they don't behave in accordance with my priorities, wishes and desires. I'm sure those things don't happen in The States.

But, most of the time I like Canada, for being a safe place, a clean place.

Most of the time I like Canada, because its people are usually polite and considerate of others.

Most of the time I like Canada, for being a place where people are tolerant of others' politics, religion, and race.

Most of the time I like Canada, because people are not walking around in public places carrying a sidearm.

Most of the time I like Canada, because it offers everyone the opportunity to succeed, based on their own hard work and talents.

Most of the time I like Canada, because it tries to take care of those who fall behind, through no fault of their own, due to illness, impairment, or bad luck.

Most of the time I like Canada, because no one will go bankrupt when they, or their child, gets seriously ill.

Next time I am standing in line at Canadian Tire, I'll try to remember that.

Happy Canada Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment